G. Zhekuto Zhimomi
Editorial Board, 50th Golden Jubilee Board
The memory of a man is a short-lived, but the history repeats and it shall live on long. Time and again we come across the write ups on the historical facts of a Village Matikhru as to how it has come in to a tragic play when Nagas are pursuing its political struggle for a sovereign nation. We appreciate the episode ‘a gruesome one’ that quench the wrath of Indian Army in the back drop of a Dakota shot down by the Naga Arm Wing (Naga Safe Guard) that was first formed at Khekiye Village under Aghunato Area the so called AZADI-NAGA the name given by the Indians. It has its own record and episode for the cause of Naga Independence and it shall live on recorded towards the history. In the same way as we Observe 63rd Year of its fierce Battle with a clean record and episode of its own, we salute the great warriors of those who have given their all for the cause of Nagas dream for sovereign nation.
In this eventful episode from 1950 to 1955: In 1950, the entire people of Aghunato Area (Aghushito Area ) was under North East Frontier Agency (NEFA) under Tuensang Area. Political Officer Brigadier Sailo Lushai was posted to Supervise un-controlled or un-administered Aghunato Area. Consequently, in 1952 May, N.I Jamir as Asst. Education Officer cum-Asst. Political Officer was posted to supervise and Oversee the administrative Affairs of Aghunato Area . It is said that, even in such a remote area without basic facilities of life, Government Servants got their salaries at Aghunato itself. In 1953, S.D Ladkhar as Asst. Political Officer was independently posted to Aghunato Area. The period was perhaps the adventurious time administrative Officer had experienced confronting two forces; the first one was with the forces against administrative office set up at Aghunato area, and the other forces was the people rebels and revolution against the Government for Naga Independence which was at its apex by then.
Contrarily to the facts, in a quick succession following revolutionary steps were also taken up that, in 1953, the FREE-NAGA set up a separate political unit as Eastern Sema Tribal Council (ESTC) approved at its NNC Summit at Hepholuqa of Lazami Village. In 1953-1954, enrolment of Naga Armed Volunters were driven both from man and women folks. In 1955, FREE-NAGAS went to Kohima to meet Kaito Ghukhuyi of NNC activist by then, who yielded the request to come along with 10 brave soldiers. The people of this area had organized a grand meeting on 5.04.1955 at Khekiye Village and thereby appointed him as General NSG, other follow up were; Niheto of Aquba as Brigadier NSG and other 3 Cammdt were also appointed viz; Viniho Aye of Khekiye, Samphu Yim’ and Pomba of Yim’ and so on. In the same year of May, ESTC went to Kohima to meet A.Z Phizo President NNC, Theheselie and Jasokie to apprise them of the development taken under AZADI-LAND of Aghunato area.
Evidently, after the second trip to Kohima the NNC Officials had convinced with the performances of people and donated 2Nos Rifles, 1No Tommy Gun along with 1000 rnds of Tommy Gun and 250 rnds of Rifles to Kaito Ghukhuyi General NSG and wish them a success in the mission of war with the Indian occupational forces. General Kaito had his designate GHQ at Khekiye Village from where he took all strategic war plans for attacks and counter attacks with Indian Armed Forces. After series of sporadic attacks the army patrol parties and its designate camp at Aghunato, Viyilho Camp, Tokiye Camp, Aghuthuto and at last it culminated its decisive war of 7 days from 4th Sept’ to 10th Sept’1955 at Khewoto and
Hoshepu defence out posts and on the same fateful day of 10th Sept’1955, NSG HQ was azed to ashes that spare no immovable and paraphernalias of the Village and its livestock economies as well.
The worst affected people deserted their villages and scattered to respective neighbouring villages and it said they returned after 3 to 4 years. Some of the indelible records available with the people are;
1) 360 Soldiers died at the least as per the counts of helmets that collected immediate after the battle. During the period of time as per the record, Major General Kochar M.C was the GOC with its HQ at Kohima.
2) Sh. S.D Ladkhar Asst. Political Officer was an Independent Officer In-Charge of Aghunato Area by then, who was still a living witness to the whole episode of the battle. According to the ground truth record; 17 Rajputs BN and 3rd Assam Rifles BN were the main forces on the Indian side. On the Observance of 50th Golden Jubilee we received a Greeting Message from Sh. S.D Ladkhar A.P.O Aghunato Area which means a testimony and a living witness to the famous Battle ever fought between two entities.
3) We have a record of celebration program in which Sh. Late Horangse Sangtam President Naga Hoho as Chief Guest and Sh.H.S Rotokha President Sumi Hoho as Guest of Honour on the observance of its 50th Golden Jubilee on 6th Dec’ 2005.
4) In recognition to the sacrifices made by the people towards the Nagas struggle movement for Independence, we have a record of greeting message from Yaruwo NSCN (I & M) along with financial assistance and a senior ranking officer was assigned to participate in the Observance day.
5) Prominently, the people of this Area and the Range in particular sincerely acknowledge the leadership of Sh. Neiphiu Rio Hon’ble Chief Minister and his Cabinet colliques for the respect of historical facts in considering the upgradation of the earliest Sr. Area Superintendent post to that of the Extra Assistant Commissioner post that was way back in the year 2012.
“In loyalty to the call in the service of the Naga Nation, they’ve paid the price
With their all “
Unveiled by: Shri. Horangse Sangtam,Hon’ble President, Naga Hoho. Dated: 6th Dec’ 2005