Dimapur Police cracks June 4 triple murder

Dimapur Police cracks June 4 triple murder
Waisong Engti alias Bimal Singh Teron and Aron Rongpi, accused in the June 4 triple murder in Dimapur, in Dimapur police custody on June 12.


Absconding suspects captured in East Karbi Anglong


Morung Express News
Dimapur | June 12


Two persons, suspected to be behind the June 4 murders, in which three youths were found hacked to death in an apartment in Dimapur, was captured by the police on June 12.


The Dimapur police PRO, ADCP (Crime) Yanrenthung Lotha told the media that the two accused, in their late teens, were arrested in the afternoon today following an 8-day long man-hunt conducted in coordination with the East Karbi-Anglong police.


The accused were identified as Waisong Engti alias Bimal Singh Teron (18 years) and Aron Rongpi (19 years). They were captured from two separate locations after police narrowed down the search operations within an area falling under Diphu Police Station.


Rongpi was arrested at Shigari Timong village at around 1:20 pm. Four hours later, police were led to Biren Teron village, where Engti was arrested. They were brought to Dimapur in the evening.


The PRO said that the SIT tasked with the investigation was almost staring at a blank wall initially. Save a CCTV footage showing the suspects escaping Dimapur, he said that the SIT had no other lead. The duo’s erstwhile employer was also said to have been unaware of their personal antecedents, including their actual names.


“On top of that, they (accused) were known to be not using phones leaving the SIT to rely on physical collection of information,” he said.


Through the help of the Karbi community in Dimapur, the team were able to get photographs of the duo. The photos eventually proved crucial, which were passed on to Police Stations in East Karbi Anglong. The Manja Police Station were exceptional in providing logistical inputs to narrow down the search, the PRO said, while adding that the Karbi civil society of Diphu were also very supportive.


He added that in the preliminary interrogation, the duo admitted to committing the crime. “They escaped through the bathroom window (using bedclothes as rope) and headed to the railway station to board a 5:00 am train to Diphu.”


Personal enmity with the three deceased victims was initially assumed as a probable motive. The PRO said, “Investigation will follow to unearth the motive of the murder.