Some of those who voted YES had this to say:
• Yes. This Bill is required because it will clearly separate between citizens and illegal immigrants. It is an opportunity to address this problem once and for all.
• Yes, I m a Naga and I m distinct. I vote for BJP.
Some of those who voted NO had this to say:
• No, because this bill is against the interest of northeastern states. A bill which is passed to get vote bank and purely in the interest of one party and not of the nation.
• No, I don’t want to be a minority in my own homeland Nagaland…
• No. Once the Citizenship Amendment Bill comes into effect, we cannot stop the immigrants to settle in our state as they will also become the citizens of India. Instead, we will have no place to stay in our own state as the state will be crowded by the immigrants. Our ILP and Article 371 (A) will become toothless laws.
• No. It is a doomsday to the people of northeast and Nagaland government should also raise their voices against the bill instead of their selfish interest in money and power.
• No. Threat to indigenous people.
• No… In my opinion BJP is using this as a way to weaken the indigenous culture and ethnicity of northeast people. Especially Nagaland, we think we have to defend ourselves only militarily and politically, but we have to defend ourselves economically too. And now we have to defend our culture and ethnicity also because of this citizenship bill. If this continues it won’t be long before we have to defend our religion too. It’s all out attack and one wonders what our leaders are doing.
• Not at all. After all, why are we fighting for our sovereignty and self determination? We better start flushing out outsiders who are intent on taking out our culture, custom, land and political powers.
• No. I absolutely don’t support the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill. The BJP is belated trying to fool us saying that it is meant for the whole country. Even if so, I don’t support it. Let the NE be exempted.
• No, I or we don’t want to be minority in our own land.
• No. It’s communal and divisive. …
• No. Its anti-secularism, politically motivated and a threat to Indian. Besides, illegal migrants will always be illegal whether it’s from Pakistan or China, Australia, Europe or any places. It’s just a vote bank politics.
• No. It’s a senseless bill. I’m at loss why this has even become a bill.
• No. We don’t need to add outsider as India’s population itself is huge enough for economic & social crisis.
• No… It is clearly a tactics of the BJP against the culture and ethnicity of northeast people. Especially Nagaland, we think we have to defend ourselves only geographically or militarily or politically? We have to defend ourselves economically too, and now we have to defend our culture and ethnicity because of the citizenship bill. If this continues, it won’t be long before we have to defend our religion too. I hope our leaders fight tooth and nail against it.
• Definitely No. Even if the BJP plans on giving them citizenship, rehabilitation schemes and housings in North India and not in Northeast, I’d still vote for No. We don’t want another election gimmick.
• It’s a No, irrespective of Religion. An illegal immigrant is an illegal immigrant. It is Foolish to Play a Religious Card for this Bill. An illegal immigrant can also play a fake religious game to attain citizenship through this bill and who will know? They all will look the same. Playing politics in the name of religion is a poisonous game. Don’t use the name of religion to try to fool the masses.
• No. It is just a part of the communal agenda and vote bank politics of the ruling party.
Some of those who voted OTHERS had this to say:
• Without knowing facts people should not say yes or no. Whole India will take burden of Hindu, Christian, Sikh, and Buddhist – those who came because of religious persecution.
• More than the CAB, Nagas should be fearful of the economic monopolization by the migrants (irrespective of their citizenship status). Property owners renting out their entire buildings for businesses and giving parental patronage to such and also to share croppers and domestic helps pose greater threats and need urgent action from local bodies and the state government. A (legal) migrant just need to call a Naga land owner “baba” and he gets a plot of land (true incident). Such is the extent of our patriotism.