Some of those who voted YES had this to say:
• Yes, but only within their own community.
• Yes, people seems kind to their neighbors and outsiders.
Some of those who voted NO had this to say:
• No… It’s evident from the increasing disparity between the haves and have-nots. And even if we give, we do it for the wrong motive i.e. for gaining status and human approval, which is far away from selfless sacrifices.
• No. Nagas are selfish when it comes to giving to the community which is not their own. We have to learn to give to others as well. We are very generous when it comes to giving and sharing within our own kin, but to others we are not so generous.
• Unfortunately no. There was a time when the community was the paramount interest of the people. When the community was strong the individuals were also strong. When the community was rich the individuals were also rich. But today the consumerism has destroyed the sense of community in our land. Today we have become too individualistic and selfish. Our communities are being destroyed. We have forgotten that we are only as strong as our community.
• No. Nagas are in fact individualistic. Very few people think for the welfare of the society. We are craving for status and respect even to the extent of obtaining through illegal means.
• No way Jose. Maybe, during our ancestors’ era but now looking at the decline of development and rise of the gap between the corrupt rich and the downtrodden poor, it’s a far cry from an altruistic society.
• No! These days we give only when there’s something in it for us. Selflessness is a word alien to the Naga vocabulary now.
Some of those who voted OTHERS had this to say:
• Nagas are very hospitable and will go out of their way to help you and assist you. But when it comes to generosity, Nagas are quite lacking. This may be due to the fact that we had a barter system before and life was about the community.
• We were once but it’s diminishing day by day now.
• Yes, if we are to define Naga Society of the yesteryears but very big no, if we are to respond looking at what we are. Nagas must stop living and believing in the past glory, we are the most arrogantly selfish people on earth. Let me give only two reasons. One, it is sad to see all Nagas rushing always to earn money, land for unjust means. Two, we accept as normal when such things are done by our dear and near ones…ism.
• Disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others is our prime objective as I am the king and all should do as I want. Why should I care if fish price is high as long as I am making much money, why should I care for others? Money and myself comes first, if I can make a rupee by any means I will do so. I take care of me you take care of you.