Pork, one of the most commonly consumed and favourite meat in Nagaland is seen in this file Photo. According to the state’s department of animal husbandry & veterinary services report, the per capita availability shows 48.65% achievement in terms of meat, 66.65% in milk. (Morung File Photo)
Kohima | February 23
The state’s department of animal husbandry & veterinary services stated that as per the Sample Survey Report 2017-18, Nagaland state produces 45.23 % of the total requirement worth Rs 1206.15 crore leaving a shortfall of 54.77%.
Out of this shortfall, the state imported animal husbandry products worth Rs 212.05 crore in monetary terms.
This was stated in the Annual Administrative Report 2018-19 of animal husbandry & veterinary services department tabled on the floor of the House today by chief minister Neiphiu Rio.
The report stated that there are immense potentials and scopes for animal husbandry development in the state in terms of demand & supply.
“However, despite the gap that exist today in terms of demand and supply, the import quantum of animal husbandry products is gradually reducing when compared with the base level of 2001-02 which in monetary term, stands at Rs 375.00 crore and in 2017-18 import value is being calculated at Rs 212.051 crore,” the report stated adding that this declining import quantum suggests that there is positive correlation between state domestic products and the existing human population.
Besides, the per capita availability of meat and milk in the state is satisfactory. In spite of being low, the fact remain that food habit of Nagas are changing in this modern era as urban population relies on balanced food like rice, meat, milk, vegetables, fruits, wheat and its products and not highly dependent on meat as it was a decade ago, the report stated.
The per capita availability shows 48.65% achievement in terms of meat and 66.65% in milk respectively.
“Thus, in order to achieve self sufficiency in meat, milk and eggs in the state, priorities are set and framed to achieve the same as per the vision of the department,” the report stated.