Veterinary Hospital Kohima
Parvovirus infection is a highly infectious viral disease of dogs. The disease is caused by a DNA virus known as Parvo virus. The virus is transmitted through direct contact from an infected dog to other healthy dog or through excretions. All age group of dog are affected but young pups are more susceptible to this disease.
Signs and Symptoms of Parvo Viral Ifection in Dog:
- Dog show depression and complete loss of appetite.
- High body temperature.
- Frothy colour vomition leading to dehydration.
- Severe diarrhoea which is bright red in colour and watery in consistency.
- In young pups jaundice also develop in severe case.
Some Steps to Prevent Parvo Viral Infection in Dog:
- Always keep your pet dog in warm, airy and hygienic environment.
- Regular disinfection of dog shed and the bedding materials.
- Deworming the dog at regular interval.
- Infected dog should be isolated immediately from other healthy dog.
- Proper disposal of the faeces and other waste products.
- Vaccination of all puppies with Parvo Viral Vaccine. Pups less than 3 month of age 2 injections – 1st injection at 6-8 weeks of age and 2nd injection after 12 weeks of age. Dog more than 3 month old then one injection only .
Booster dose: one injection yearly.