Some of those who voted YES had this to say:
• Yes, very much needed. This was totally absent last term. The Opposition’s main role is to question the government of the day, hold them accountable to the public and also to raise issues of urgent public importance and debate legislation vigorously. Today, we have a strong opposition. They should guide and check the government towards socio-economic development.
• Yes, because without a strong opposition in the house, people of Nagaland will remain in darkness for 5 years once again.
• Yes. Without opposition, it will be the monopoly of the Government.
• Yes. So that the ruling party is not given a completely free hand and do things ‘kushi kushi.’
• Yes. Tackling corruption.
• Absolutely yes, for checks & balances and accountability.
• Definitely yes… Only a strong opposition can safeguard the interests of the public. We need a strong and ‘thinking’ opposition
• Yes, but after years of oppositionless government, did our MLAs forget how to act like a responsible and constructive opposition instead of finding every opportunity to defect to the ruling party? Old habits die hard.
• Yes, we have seen the damage wrecked by an oppositionless government. We seriously need an opposition.
Some of those who voted NO had this to say:
• No. We do not necessarily need a strong opposition. What we need is an active opposition that cares enough to raise issues of public interest and to hold the government of the day accountable and responsible. This is what is required.
• No. Being in opposition is an art. It is a responsibility. With all our MLAs wanting power, status and prestige, I am afraid that they are not prepared to learn how to be in opposition.
Some of those who voted OTHERS had this to say:
• “There is no Democracy without Opposition.”
• We all know its a yes to that…but our politicians cannot be trusted.
• Because everyone from both the houses would be hawk eyeing the same piece of meal thrown from the centre, thereby resulting in exposes.
• I’m not really sure if Naga politicians are capable of being a good opposition either.