Thunderstorm in Manipur: 3 dead, over 40 injured

Thunderstorm in Manipur: 3 dead, over 40 injured

In the aftermath of a severe thunderstorm that hit Manipur on April 15, several casualties were reported. Three persons were killed and several injured. Several properties were also damaged. (NNN Photo)

Newmai News Network

Imphal | April 15

A thunderstorm on Monday killed three women in Manipur and injured over 40 people, including 30 students.

Thunderstorm, wind and lightning devastated many villages, bringing down houses, schools, trees and electric poles, leaving dozens injured.
According to state Meteorological Department, the wind blew at a speed of 40 km/hour.

Two women died after the house they were taking shelter in Churachandpur’s K Salemjang village was brought down by the thunderstorm. The deceased women were Nemdom (74) and Chenkholhai (50). They were living together in a house, official reports said. Villagers and police retrieved the dead bodies from the site of the incident.

In the second incident, a woman running a tea stall in her village at Kakching Wairi under Kakching district, died after a big banyan tree, uprooted by the storm, fell down on her stall. The deceased was later identified as Yengkhom Nungsitombi alias Memcha (56).

Meanwhile, over a dozen students of New Model School at Kumbi in Bishnupur district were injured after the building of the school was damaged by the storm.

In another incident, a school at Kwakta village, also in Bishnupur district, was also damaged by the thunderstorm, leaving some students with injuries, according to reports. Several houses of Kwakta and adjoining areas were also devastated by the heavy thunderstorm followed by torrential rain. Reports of damage of houses and other structures at various parts of Manipur were coming in till the filing of this report.

A source in the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) hospital in Imphal said that among several people who rushed to the hospital with thunderstorm related incidents, seven of them who sustained critical injuries were referred to Shija Hospital for further treatment.