Imlirenla Jamir (in Red Jersey) and Japan’s Kaoru Takeuchi (White) with match officials after their match at Rajiv Gandhi Indoor Stadium, Kochi on September 12.
She will next play Russia’s Olga Arkhangelskaya on September 13
Morung Express News
Dimapur | September 11
After making history as the first Naga shuttler to take part in a world championship event, K Imlirenla Jamir’s campaign at the ongoing Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Senior Badminton Championships at Kochi started off on an unlucky note as she lost her first match to Japan’s Kaoru Takeuchi.
Imlirenla, born and brought up in Kohima, is currently employed as Inspector in the state home department. She is representing India in 35+ Women category at the championship.
Earlier this year, she booked a berth in the championship by securing the women’s singles runner-up in the 41st Masters National Badminton Championship (Women’s Single). Prerana Joshi is the other Indian in the same category.
Starting strong by taking the first set 21-17, Imlirenla fought hard in the second set before eventually losing 18-21. In the decider, her Japanese opponent upped the ante and won the set 10-21.
“It was a close game but unluckily, she proved to be a better player today,” Imlirenla said to The Morung Express in a telephonic conversation from Kochi.
Drawn in Group D, she will play Russia’s Olga Arkhangelskaya on September 13 in her second league match.
“It is a do or die match and I will give my best,” she said.
However, Imlirenla noted that it will be a gargantuan task as her Russian opponent is seeded number 2 in the championship.
Imlirenla’s participation in the world championship in Kochi is turning out to be a pricey affair.
The Police Department, the state government and the badminton association have offered no assistance and she has been forced to bear all expenses on her own.
Not one to find faults, Imlirenla however says that she never officially approached any of those entities for assistance.
The BWF World Senior Championships 2017 started at Kochi on September 11 and will conclude on 17. The championship is being held in India for the first time.
The week-long tournament will see a total of 665 players from 40 countries who will battle it out in eight different age groups – plus-35, plus- 40, plus-45, plus-50, plus-55, plus-60, plus-65 and plus-70 and will be played in all the five categories, PTI News agency reported.
A total of 175 players will represent India including Olympians – Abhinn Shyam Gupta, Nikhil Kanetkar and V Diju – along with three times Asian Games team bronze medalist Partho Ganguly and 1982 Asian Games bronze medalist Leroy D’sa, it added.
The Indian contingent will also have Arjuna awardee and Kerala player George Thomas and Commonwealth medallist and former India doubles players Sanave Thomas and Roopesh Kumar.