Aircel launches 3G service

Chennai, February 22 (PTI): Telecom operator Aircel on Tuesday launched its 3G services here, with an aim to increase mobile internet penetration. “3G will collapse all barriers. It will revolutionise entertainment since it is a highly interactive medium and bandwidth will not be a constraint,” Aircel Chief Operating Officer Gurdeep Singh said.
The pan-India operator has won 3G licences in 13 telecom circles across India and will be launching 3G services in the remaining circles by mid-March, he added. “We will launch the 3G services in 11 circles by first week of March and the remaining circles in the middle week (of March)”, he said. Last year, Aircel added 50 million new subscribers and expects that around 35 per cent of its subscribers would migrate to the 3G services in the next five years. Aircel is a joint venture between Malaysia-based Maxis Communications and Apollo Hospitals Group. Maxis holds 76 per cent stake in the joint venture, while Apollo Hospitals has the remaining 24 per cent stake.