Nagaland announces Unlock 3

Neiba Kronu, Mmhonlumo Kikon and others at the press conference in Kohima on July 16. (Morung Photo)

Neiba Kronu, Mmhonlumo Kikon and others at the press conference in Kohima on July 16. (Morung Photo)

Higher Secondary, Colleges to reopen from July 26

Our Correspondent
Kohima | July 16

The High Powered Committee on COVID-19, Nagaland today decided to go for ‘Unlock 3’ for another 15 days, starting from July 18.

This decision was taken after getting recommendation from District Task Forces (DTF) during the HPC meeting here on Friday, according to government spokesperson on COVID 19 Neiba Kronu.

Addressing a press conference after the HPC meeting, Kronu who is also the Minister for Planning and Coordination, Land Revenue and Parliamentary Affairs, said that a major decision was taken to allow the opening of higher secondary and colleges in Nagaland from July 26.

However, Kronu said that there will be no opening of schools for lower classes as of now.

Another government spokesperson on COVID 19 and Advisor for IT, Science and Technology and NRE, Mmhonlumo Kikon said that there have been a lot of requests from college establishments to allow them to start the colleges.

“However, our condition is that, it (reopening) is subject to all the teachers and non-teaching staff being fully vaccinated or taking at least one dose of vaccine,” he said.

This is to ensure that the COVID cases are contained, he added.

“We are willing to open (Colleges) as long as the teachers and non teaching staff are fully vaccinated and they maintain all the COVID-19 appropriate protocols in the colleges,” Kikon said while adding that detailed SOPs will be issued on this matter.

On being asked whether it would be mandatory for students to get vaccinated, Kikon said “We will encourage all students to be vaccinated. Colleges will be encouraged to start vaccination process in the colleges with the help of the government as well.”

Kikon was optimistic that the college administration will encourage not only their own staff but also the students of the college to take the vaccine.

Vaccination for employees of Secretariat, Directorate
Kikon said that for employees of Nagaland Civil secretariat and also the Directorate offices, the attendance will be based on the status of vaccination.

He said if one is vaccinated, then he/she will not be required to present or produce RTPCR test report/ negative report.
The concerned head of department will enforce the challenges; he said, adding that this is to ensure safety of all staff of the civil secretariat and the directorate.

“As far as vaccination of the staff of the civil secretariat and directorate are concerned, data show that it is still very less.  We need more of our government servants to come forward and take the vaccination,” he said.

Kronu also stated that only 25% of the staff of civil secretariat has taken vaccine so far, which he said is very less.

“If they don’t want, then the government will take more stringent measures,” Kronu said.

Meanwhile, Kikon lamented that vaccine hesitancy is very high in Nagaland. He added that there are many people who spread anti-vaccine messages in social media and some arrests were also made in some of the districts in this regard.

Revised guidelines for inbound travellers
Following the press conference, Nagaland Chief Secretary J Alam issued a notification stipulating the standard operating procedures (SOPs) for inbound travellers to the state.

The notification stated that all travellers or returnees entering Nagaland should be asymptomatic and would be required to produce COVID-19 vaccination completion certificate or provisional certificate for the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine. At least 15 days should have passed after taking the first dose of vaccine, it added.

All inbound travellers entering the state through the Dimapur Airport; Dimapur Railway Station; New Field Check Gate and Dillai Gate; Khuzama; Tsutapela and Watiyongpang; Naginimora and Tizit; Bhandari, and Lanye Junction and Akash Bridge would be screened at the point of entry, it added.

Those who are fully vaccinated and asymptomatic will not be required to be tested for COVID-19 at the point of entry and may not be required to quarantine. However, those who have received only the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine at least 15 days prior to travel and are asymptomatic will have to quarantine for 7 days without COVID testing.

In cases where travellers are symptomatic or do not fulfil the aforementioned conditions,  “the persons concerned will be required to undergo testing for COVID-19 on payment as per the Government approved rates and further undergo quarantine for 7 days,” it stated. The person(s) who need to quarantine would also have to furnish an undertaking/declaration (available on the state COVID-19 portal) at the point of entry, it added.

In this connection, the respective district task forces have been entrusted to set up mechanisms to facilitate testing and paid quarantine. Home quarantine may be permitted if there are provisions for separate room and toilet, it added.

For residents of other north-eastern states who are passing through Nagaland, a negative COVID-19 test report through RT-PCR/TrueNat/CBNAAT, taken not earlier than 72 hours of entry into the state, or vaccination certificates (Completion or provisional) would be required. Along with fulfilling the requirements of the SOPs of the final destination state, in-transit travellers would also be required to produce proof of address in the other state, ticket or proof of onward travel, in order to enter Nagaland, it added.

Additionally, village authorities and urban local bodies, under the supervision of DTFs, have been directed to identify inter-state travellers in their jurisdictions and monitor any breach in quarantine norms or COVID-19 appropriate behaviours, it stated.

It further stated that these guidelines would be uniformly implemented throughout the state and cannot be modified by DTFs, ULBs or any other organisations. Violators of the SOPs will be prosecuted as per relevant sections of the Disaster Management Act 2005 besides action under section 188 of the Indian Penal Code and other legal provisions, it cautioned.  

Click here for SOP



Support The Morung Express.
Your Contributions Matter
Click Here