• Charges against 19 suspects
• 7 in custody, 12 absconding
• SIT Investigation continues
Dimapur, July 22 (MExN): In a significant development in the March 22 Lamhainamdi case, the police have filed charges against 19 persons, accused of complicity in the incident.
According to a press release from the SP (Crime) and PRO, Nagaland Police Headquarters, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) filed the chargesheet on July 22.
The release informed that seven out of the 19 named in the chargesheet were in judicial custody and 12 absconding. An intriguing thing pointed out in the press release was the involvement of cadres from different Naga Political Groups (NPGs) and also civilians.
Four of the seven accused in custody belonged to three different groups. They were identified as Munwang Konyak and Yepeka Kiba of the NSCN (IM), Lentilen Hangsing of the GPRN/NSCN and as told to The Morung Express by the PRO, the fourth accused Livingson Awomi, belonged to one of the NNC offshoots. The three civilians were identified as Kisheto Zhimomi (a Head GB), Tongkhahao Sitlhou and Vikheshe Achumi.
Among the 12 absconding accused also includes civilians and members of different NPGs, added the PRO.
The release further informed that four other persons, who were arrested earlier in connection to the case and subsequently availed bail “are released from the case.”
“Identities of few other unknown persons involved in this case are also being established. Further investigation in the case continues,” the release said, while adding that the SIT got hold of incriminating evidences, including photographs of the accused with arms and “technical evidences,” from a “makeshift jungle camp,” some 2-3 km away from Vihuto village, which was reportedly used as a base for “commission of the crime” and other incriminating material from the scene of crime.
The release added that the investigation revealed that the 19 persons named in the chargesheet were “part of deep-rooted criminal conspiracy to plan, prepare and execute the killing of three persons at Lamhainamdi Village.”
Three persons were gunned down in the March 22 incident arising from the disputed Lamhainamdi situated in a still to be clearly demarcated Dimapur-Peren inter-district border. On March 23, a suo moto case was registered at the State Crime Police Station (SCPS), Kohima. The case was subsequently handed over to a Special Investigation Team.