Morung Express News
Dimapur | August 9
Despite the government’s decision to restrict the movement of armed forces into Nagaland till September, the surge in COVID-19 cases among armed forces in the state does not seem to decline.
Out of the 93 new cases reported on Sunday, 42 were from the Armed Forces, while the rest were returnees, traced contacts and frontline workers.
Out of the total 2781 COVID-19 positive cases reported in Nagaland till August 9, Security Forces accounted for a staggering 44.08% of the cases.
According to the daily report on COVID-19 issued by the Department of Health and Family Welfare, 1226 cases belonged to Armed Forces while 1072 were returnees, followed by 233 traced contacts, 196 frontline workers and 54 ‘others’, which included cases from NLA, patients, etc., where contact tracing is on to establish an epidemiological link.
The highest weekly spike in cases was recorded in July-end at 964 with majority of cases from the Armed Forces.
Following this, the government on August 6 decided to impose a restriction on movement of armed forces into Nagaland till September.
State Principal Home Secretary, Abhijit Sinha in his daily briefing on Thursday had said that, in view of a large number of their personnel testing COVID-19 positive, the paramilitary forces in Nagaland have now decided, as a precautionary measure, to reschedule the induction of their personnel from outside the State.
Meanwhile, according to a PTI report, authorities of various paramilitary and armed forces have assured the state government that they will reschedule the return of their personnel from leave in a staggered manner till September.
Death toll at 8
Sinha, in the daily briefing on Sunday informed that the state has recorded 8 COVID-19 deaths till date.
Till August 8, the number of deaths in the state was recorded at 6 by the State COVID-19 Death Review Committee. The state COVID-19 bulletin had showed 7 deaths, but added that out of the 7 cases, “one death is COVID-19 positive but not due to COVID-19.”
State Nodal Officer, IDSP Dr Nyanthung Kikon said that the 8th death was as verified by the State COVID-19 Death Review Committee on August 9.
Frontline worker dies in Mon, not COVID-19 death says DC
Meanwhile, a frontline worker who was in institutional quarantine in Wangkhao Government College, Mon reportedly died in his sleep on August 9.
Confirming the news of the death of the frontline worker, Deputy Commissioner (DC) Mon told The Morung Express that it was not a COVID-19 death.
The deceased had earlier tested positive for COVID -19 but he had recovered. He had tested negative on July 31, the DC informed.
“Since he was a frontline worker, he was kept in Institutional Quarantine for 14 days as per SOP at the Mess Wing of Wangkhao Government College,” the DC added.
Unfortunately, the person passed away in his sleep. His sample was collected again on August 9 and the result was negative, the DC informed.