Nagaland imports 19000 tn of meat yearly

Newmai News Network
Kohima | May 10

99% of Nagaland’s population consume meat, milk and egg and imports around 19,000 tonne of meat, 5000 tonne of powder milk and 275 lakh of eggs annually. This was revealed during a state-level capacity-building seminar on agro-marketing in Kohima recently. Commissioner & Secretary M. Yanthan, IAS said a sample survey report of the department of Veterinary &  Animal Husbandry said about 19 thousand tonne  of meat, 5 thousand tonne of powder milk and 275 lakhs of eggs are imported from outside the state annually. This import value is about Rs. 220 crores and accounts for 39% of the state’s requirement while  the rest 61% is being produced from within.

In spite of huge trade that takes place outside the state as well as from within, marketing of animal husbandry products is still not organized except for  chilled milk which is catered by Komul and Dimul. They are sold through designated counters at an approved rate. So on marketing pork, beef, mutton, chevon and fowls, there is no specific Act or  rule laid down by the department or by the government, he said.

The present system of marketing of the said items is through local arrangement, which is mostly unorganized and without any act or rule, he said. The official cited an instance that the price of local pork is still very random with retailers fixing their own rates depending on the situation. If the supply of pork is scarce in the market then they increase the price at own whims and convenience, Commissioner Yanthan said. Rampant and random retail rates on sale of products like meat and milk without quality control are some of the issues that need to be addressed, he said.