Dimapur, August 13 (MExN): Nagaland Minister for Health and Family Welfare S Pangnyu Phom on Friday gave an overview of the state government’s ‘multi pronged’ COVID-19 response strategy.
According to Pangnyu, the government’s strategy included combining containment measures like lockdowns, restrictions on activities, tests at entry points, micro containment zones etc; health system strengthening involving upgrading the diagnostics, treatment infrastructure like ICU/HDU beds, provision of ambulances, oxygen plants etc., and workforce management.
The Minister noted that the state was more severely affected during the second wave of COVID-19, with positivity rate of 11.5% in April-July 2021 as compared to 9.7% during the 1st wave.
Highlighting the number of ‘timely steps’ taken to respond against the second wave, the Minister said that a partial lockdown was imposed from May 5 followed by total lockdown from May 14.
Pangnyu stated that the government augmented the human resources and created 390 posts in 2020 “specifically keeping in view the requirements on account of COVID.” In addition, around 150 resultant vacancy posts of various categories of Health Care Workers were also filled up in a fast track manner, he said.
To meet the increased hospitalization, the State ramped up the bed strength from 805 before the second wave to 1,153 beds. He also said that a 200-bedded hospital, with 24 pediatric beds, for acute medical care in CIHSR Dimapur is also being built, which is likely to get operational by September.
The Minister also stated that the government has been making efforts to augment the state’s oxygen capacity and has procured nearly 6,000 cylinders of various capacities as compared to 1,417 cylinders at the beginning of the pandemic last year.
PSA Oxygen Generation Plants along with oxygen piping and generator backup have been installed at Kohima, Dimapur, Mokokchung, Tuensang and Phek to ensure availability of bedside oxygen with a daily capacity of 3.7 MT each, he said, adding that the government plans to cover all the districts with PSA plants and major CHCs by September 2021. There are more than 2,000 concentrators and deployed at various medical facilities in the state, he added.
“We have put in place efficient oxygen supply chain, with a State Depot in Dimapur and a Zonal Depot at Mokokchung. Resultantly, despite the sudden surge in cases, no patient had to suffer on account of lack of availability of oxygen or hospital beds,” Pangnyu maintained.
Besides the 3 BSL laboratories, the government has also established 32 Truenat and 362 Rapid Antigen Testing facilities for COVID-19 across the state. In collaboration with TATA MD, it is being ensured that RTPCR or equivalent test facilities are available in all the districts, he added.
Meanwhile, he said that the state has taken up intensive vaccination drive and as on August 10, 51.17% of the eligible population have been vaccinated with at least one dose, out of which 13% have completed both doses.
A Pediatric Task Force has been set-up under a senior Director of the H&FW with experts drawn from the private and public sector to look into preparedness in case the third wave attacks children with more severity, the Minister added.