RC Chiten Jamir
“We have seen his star and are come to worship Him” Matthew 2:2.
The world had taken a long historical journey into night because God did not speak nor did the prophets speak between the periods from Malachi to the Gospels. This period was dark and fearful. The angel of the Lord proclaimed the rising of the bright Morning Star saying, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy…” Luk 2:10.
The Morning Star struck the eyes of the Wise men and the ears of the poor shepherds but not the religious leaders and the rulers of the time. Although, the Jews had waited thousands of years for this star, when it was right in their midst and the promised Emmanuel was with them, they did not know that He was already with them. The rising of the Morning Star was a sunburst for the world, the people who were in darkness of sin. Never, repeat, never has the world been the same dark place that it was before ever since.
The witness of the prophet: Isa. 9:2
“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light: those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined.”
The Messianic witness: John 8:12
“Iam the light of the world, he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have light of life”.
The Apostolic witness: John 1:5
“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”
1. In this Morning Star, first of all, we see the True Light of God. He is the light that drives away the darkness of sin. Light is a germicidal, it gets rid of organisms that are harmful for the body.
Christ is the Light, He is our soul’s germicide. Jesus came to destroy the wicked works of the devil. I John 3:8. The famous hymn of Charlie Wesley bears witness to the fact:
Long my imprisoned spirit lay;
Fast bound in sin and nature’s right;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
This is Redemptive Light. The light of liberation from the fetters of fear, the grip of greed and selfishness, the hold of hatred, the pang of divisiveness, the prison of pride, the tyranny of temper, the deceitfulness of corruption, the curse of sin, indeed the whole plaguing handcuffing lot!
The Christmas speaks of a decisive light because Jesus said, “The light is with you for a little longer… walk while you have the light, lest the darkness overtake you”. It means that we should believe Jesus when we are offered the opportunity. He is knocking at our hearts now, soon He may go away. We may not get another opportunity. John 12:35-36.
2. Life is splendour of the Morning Star. John 1:4 says “In Him was life.” “I am the life…”John 14:6. On Christmas, God gave us Eternal life in and through Jesus Christ. Therefore, he who has Jesus has life, he who has not Jesus has no life. 1 John 5:11-12. The Morning Star which is Christ, offers us the free gift of Eternal Life. This is being a Gift it must be accepted. If it is refused/rejected then refuse the Life that Christ offers.
3. Truth is yet another splendour of the Morning Star. Jesus said, “I am the truth…” John 14:6. “The world was made flesh…Jesus is the True Incarnate of God. Jesus is the Son of God as also the Son of man. He is the Emmanuel. God’s Star came down to Bethlehem with all royal glories and stayed in a cow-shed because there was no place for Him. Even today He has room for Him in our hearts.
4. There are still sublime excellencies of other splendours of the Morning Star. What about Love? “God is love and he who dwells in love dwells in God”. This Love had never touched down to the earth as the Morning Star. His whole character and actions showed love in demonstration. His life was sacrificial sufferings as its highest manifestations. His love’s destination is the cross where He paid the price for our sins. He saved us from eternal condemnation of death because He loved us.
5. The Morning Star has another sublime splendour. Jesus Christ, the Morning Star is the ‘Wisdom’ of God. The world trembles before the wonderful works of God. it glimpses the flashes of His beauty in the stars and flowers. All these are the unspeakable works of God’s Wisdom. The Wisdom, in other words, Christ was the creator of the universe: He was the Master-Mind of all creations. Christ was the True Incarnate of God. The word was with God, and without Christ nothing that was made was made.
6. The spectrum of the Morning Star, has in its ingredients, the splendour of ‘Righteousness’. Jesus Christ is the flawless gem, the priceless jewel. In Him there was no sin. He is absolute ‘Righteousness’. What a miracle of Divine grace that such righteousness may be ours, as a free Gift of life by faith in /Christ.
7. The Morning Star brings the splendour of Power of God. In that power is combined the unchangeable authority and irresistible might. “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth” said Jesus. Jesus Christ is the Sceptre of all dominions and He is the Throne of final Judgment.
8. The Morning Star with its brightness pierces the darkness of the night and heralds the dawn of Redemptive Salvation. After wielding the Sceptre of Omnipotence, He will reconcile God with man. God’s only option to have peace with man is to have reconciliation with man through the Blood of Jesus. Christ redeems the sinners by Hid blood, and whosoever believes in Jesus Christ are made to become the children of God. Thus the believers are reconciled with God and have peace with God. Rom 5:1. The wisest sages of old said, “We have come to worship Him”. The heavenly hosts bowed before Christ in worship as the Morning Star arrived on earth upon His Mission of Redemption. Let us adore Him and worship Him. Will the Morning Star of Christmas be a sunburst in your heart, in your home, our church? Let us receive Jesus as the Chief at this Christmas making Him to be our Lord and Saviour for ever and ever. AMEN.