Agro Met Field Unit
ICAR, Jharnapani. Medziphema
Total rainfall received in Dimapur district during August month was 492.5 mm which was 68% more than the normal, with the highest rainfall of 117.0 mm recorded on 26th August. Total number of rainy day was 13.
Actual cumulative rainfall during this year’s Monsoon season so far upto 30th August for East & North East has been1130.9mm (normal rainfall 1132.6mm). Next few week, NE states likely to receive fairly widespread to widespread rainfall.
For good production, do not allow weeds to grow during plant’s early growth stage. Timely weeding and hoeing should be done for all the crops
In present weather condition, constant monitoring for leaf folder in paddy field is advised. To control the pest, mechanical methods, such as rope method (to dislodge the larvae) is advised. In this method, water is allowed to stand in the field up to 2 cm and a rope is hold by two persons at two corners of the field and it is moved in such a way that it swayed the standing paddy crop. The larvae which feed on the folded leafs fall in the water due to mechanical disturbances. After that bunds are opened at many places to drain out water. Insects are collected and destroyed. This process should be repeated two to three times to get desirable result
For rice blast management, destroy the infested residue, stubbles, grass and weeds present in the bunds of the field as they act as a source for the infection
Timely monitor the disease in ginger field. For aphids and whiteflies, spray neem oil @5ml/litre of water
For litchi, perform reiterative pruning to rejuvenate unproductive trees. Girdle primary branches to ensure flowering
Check for powdery mildew disease and aphids in bhindi. Spray neem oil. Harvest in morning hours when hairs on fruits are soft.
Harvest the cucurbits at proper maturity stage depending upon its use. Over matured fruits become fibrous and immature fruits are tender and have short shelf life.
Farmers are advised to use light trap to keep a check on pest population. This causes less damage to useful insects.
For making a light trap, a bulb should be fixed above a tumbler (either plastic or tin) having a mixture of water and few drops of kerosene oil. The insects get attracted towards the light, fall in the solution and die
During the month of September, Bordeaux paste should be applied on tree trunk of citrus up to 60cm height from ground level. To kill the trunk borer grubs, clean the bored holes of the infested trunk with iron wire and insert a cotton swab soaked in petrol or kerosene and plug with mud.
• Continue routine deworming of piglets at 5-6 months interval
• Continue injection of iron for piglets at 4th and 14th day
• Regularly disinfect the floors and walls at frequent intervals with suitable disinfectant (KMnO4). Daily inspection early in the morning should be done for any abnormal behaviour. Observe their general stage of health, check for parasites and injuries, and watch out for any abnormal feeding habits Examine the animals for maggot infestation and ectoparasites and use suitable control measures
• Check for signs of any disease like CSF, FMD etc and immediately consult a veterinary practitioner
• Provide adlibitum water, clean drinking water
• Vaccinate against prevalent disease like Ranikhet disease and deworm every two months for backyard and intensive system both.
• Fungal contamination of feed during rainy season is a common problem. Avoid transport of feed during rainy season and feed must be stored in dry place. Care must be taken to fill all the ditches in the vicinity of the poultry house which act as a breeding place for insects and mosquitoes
Due to heavy rainfall and muddy water influx from the surrounding areas, the ponds may result in reduction of dissolved oxygen. Stir the water with a bamboo pole as it will help in increasing the oxygen and protect the fishes from suffocation.